[Ravensfort] Questions about viking names

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Wed May 12 22:56:35 PDT 2010

Old Norse for Beginners

*http://notendur.hi.is/haukurth/norse/*<http://notendur.hi.is/haukurth/norse/>

Maybe this will be of some interest/assistance, particularly with the rules
of spelling/pronunciation.

Histories of Iceland would be useful....as would some of the old Sagas. If
you go that route, I would suggest looking first at the Vinlandsaga, since
that details an historical event, and names are more likely to be accurate
than in the more fantastic works like the Volsungasaga (although
Heimskringla and other sagas by Snorri Sturlusson seem pretty level-headed
when it comes to period names).

Byock, Jesse; *Medieval Iceland: Society, Sagas and
Power<http://books.google.com/books?id=A4S6Bnw3HnkC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_navlinks_s#v=onepage&q=&f=false>
*. University of California Press (1988) ISBN
0-520-06954-4<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/0520069544>
ISBN
0-226-52680-1 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/0226526801>

The site http://www.sagnanet.is/ comes with an English translation.

Also try http://omacl.org/Heimskringla/

A few years ago, I designed a course on Icelandic sagas that I never got to
teach. For what it's worth, I have the required readings list for that class
right here (the first two are based on mythology and not on history; keep
that in mind):

*The Prose Edda: Tales from Norse Mythology*

Jesse L. Byock<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?z=y&ath=Jesse+L%2E+Byock>
 (Translator)

*ISBN: *0140447555

*Publisher: *Viking Penguin

*Saga of the Volsungs*

<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?z=y&ath=Jesse+Byock>
Jesse Byock (Translator)

*ISBN: *0140447385

*Publisher: *Penguin Group (USA)

*Njal's Saga*

<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?z=y&ath=Robert+Cook>
Robert Cook (Translator)

*ISBN: *0140447695

*Publisher: *Penguin Group (USA)

*The Vinland Sagas: *The Norse Discovery of America

<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?z=y&ath=Magnus+Magnusson>Magnus
Magnusson (Translator),
<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?z=y&ath=Hermann+Palsson>
Hermann Palsson (Translator)

*ISBN: *0140441549

*Publisher: *Penguin Group (USA)

*King Harald's Saga: *Harald Hardradi of Norway: From Snorri Sturluson's
Heimskringla

<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?z=y&ath=Snorri+Sturluson>Snorri
Sturluson,
<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?z=y&ath=Paulsson+Herman>Paulsson
Herman,
<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?z=y&ath=Hermann+Palsson>Hermann
Palsson (Translator),
<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?z=y&ath=Magnus+Magnusson>
Magnus Magnusson (Translator)

*ISBN: *0140441832

*Publisher: *Penguin Group (USA)

Happy browsing!

Pax et bonum,
DT+LF
Detlef von Marburg

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Keely Disman <kdisman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings unto the populace!
>
> I am trying to help Fred work on his persona.  He knows he is interested in
> Norse/Viking somewhere around 10th or 11th century.  The problem we are
> running into is figuring out a name!  He wants something which will be
> fairly easy for him to spell and pronounce.  We've come across a few
> possibilities that he likes, but neither of us is absolutely certain about
> pronunciation.  Does anyone know some good resources for pronunciation of
> Old Norse names?  My Old English is very rusty and I'm actually unfamiliar
> with how close the pronunciations between these two languages are.  Any help
> with this project would be appreciated!
>
> Keely

He has told you, O mortal, what is good;
and what does the LORD require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God?
--Micah 6:8