[Ravensfort] Fw: [Gleann Abhann] Re: WAR DRUMS FOR GULF WARS!

David Brown lddevin03 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 16:44:37 PST 2010

>From the Gleann Abhann list about war drums.

Devin

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Catherine Koehler <hccartck at yahoo.com>
To: gleannabhann at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, November 11, 2010 5:31:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Gleann Abhann] Re: WAR DRUMS FOR GULF WARS!

Dear Duchess and others...

I posted last year about a way to make the drums using sonotubes (contractors
use them..ask for throwaways)  They are a VERY sturdy paper used for concrete
columns and come in different dimensions.  They are easy to cut on a saw, and
easy to paint.  I actually wet the goatskins and then STAPLE them to the
cardboard with a power stapler.  Then I cover the staples with cord wrapped
around the head.  They are incredible sounding!  I have made these for several
years for an African heritage dance grant but they are just as easily medieval
depending on how you embellish them.  Just thought I would throw those ideas out
there for the group to chew on for awhile!

Aine