[Ravensfort] Celebration of Virtue

Carolyn Pace ridgetopfarm at me.com
Sun Oct 31 19:26:25 PDT 2010

Greetings everyone, Three of us Raven's Forters went to Bryn Gwlad this weekend. We know many stayed behind to help Devin move. It sounds like he had a great amount of help and got almost everything moved. I can't wait until our first 'Guild Together' at his new place.
   We arrived at Bryn Gwlad early enough to set up before dark which was good because the temperature quickly dropped as the sun went down. The low was around 43 Friday night. Our tent was snug and comfortable enough however.
   Saturday began beautifully with a nice fog moving along the lake/river. The fighting was terrific and fast paced. Many rounds were held as contestants challenged each other to defend the virtues. Pace and I watched our champion of Raven's Fort, Lady Eleanor fight many rounds. Her own Lord Ysfael won as Champion of Bryn Gwlad. We saw her RF champion banner flying at her camp as well. She did all of us proud.
   The rapier was just as fast paced with some really cool footwork around the field. I saw many new fighters I did not know.
  Pace visited the archery field and was given many new tips from them and checked out  the newly passed arrows that are up to SCA code. The young man who won the youth archery outscored the many adults there! Sounds like a future champion of Bryn Gwlad to me!
  As the day went on we met HE Jalali but actually heard her first heralding some news by the field. What a great voice she has!
  Feast was the best ever. The rice was hot and moist and the meat cooked to perfection. We had good company with Lady Lessa and HE William from the Loch Soilleir. We also got to visit with Herr Detlef quite a bit several times that evening.
   We  met a new person that some of the old Raven's Forters may remember. His name is THE HAN and he says HE is the rightful Baron of Raven's Fort and may visit sometime to challenge that! HE Kezia told us the story of what happened to create that illusion in his mind!!   :)  It was nice to see her in her new Barony. She was honored in court for many things that she has done since moving there.
   Court was fun to watch and really nice in the theater. There was a hound dog lying on the floor  quietly watching the comings and goings of people up the steps to receive their awards. He liked the occassional pet but finally got bored and went to sleep all stretched out right in the middle of everything. Even the loud Vivats didn't faze him!
   After court we went to the wake held for the Bryn Gwlad fighter who had passed on. It was very moving and touching to hear the stories told to his family in the castle. We passed around the honey mead he had made  and it was delicious. An evening we will not soon forget.
  Last of the evening was spent at the tavern listening and sharing stories with friends old and new. We got to meet Don Shamano, the land owner, and his lovely fiance.   We walked back late, tired but happy to our camp and went to sleep listening to occasional fireworks.   Much fun.  YIS, Giovanna