[Ravensfort] Submissions for the Quoth

SF Tester sftester2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 11:41:16 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM, byzytym <byzytym at att.net> wrote:

> Call me a purest, but I don't like downloading from the internet.
> I have a brand new computer that I have so far only added programs by disc.
> I try to use the most common programs so there won't be problems sharing
> info.
> My wife uses it for her work.
> I don't want downloads to automatically change settings, which they do
> sometimes.
> Or worse.
> Is there anyway that the Barony could supply the Chroniclers office
> with a word processing program ?
> Microsoft would be good.

Very soon you won't have the CD option for most software. Within 5
years you will download all software.

Open Office is more reliable, less expensive, more compatible, and
less bloated than Office. I've used it for a couple of years and have
never had an issue.

Simply downloading an application from a reputable source (Sun
Microsystems is a reputable source) neither increases or reduces the
chances of any settings being changed. However, Microsoft is notorious
for changing things in your registry when you install anything.

Office is extremely expensive, though there may be an option to get an
educational license since it would be for a non-profit, but the
license would have to be renewed at some point since I'm 90% sure
that, like Windows, Office is limited to a certain number of computers
before the license becomes invalid. In other words, if chronicler A
installs Office, then gets a new computer and reinstalls office,
passes on the job to chronicler B, who installs it on a computer, then
blows their computer up (not with C4, but I've considered it) and gets
a new one, there's a real good chance that copy of Office is now
unusable.

Trust me on this one, Open Office is the way to go.
--
Gundy the hacked and slashed