[Ravensfort] Tuesday Night Practice

Sher M runa.herd at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 24 20:21:54 PDT 2011

Baron Brian du Val has already notified me, since I am the Knight Marshal, earlier this afternoon that he will be bringing Jason and Ace with him to Candy Cane Park on Tuesday.   Gear and waivers are already in my truck.  Should something occur due to me still recovering from rotator cuff surgery, my Deputy Knight Mashal will be able to access the loaner gear without any problems.

We have had numerous fighter practices in Huntsville at the SHSU field.  It was a dangerous place for all and normally was myself and 2 fighters.  I believe one night we had 5 fighters there to practice.  However 2 of those fighters normally fight Rapier.  Students practicing other sports on the field and running between two armed fighters to chase a ball is not a safe thing.  People walking dogs on a retractable leash so the dog can get where we held practice wasn't safe.  There was also the problem of small children running loose in the area because it is fenced and their parents just turn them lose while they're walking laps.

The fighters need to practice in boots/shoes that they wear on the field.  This eliminates the indoor space where tennis shoes would have to be worn.  Also on a wooden floor there is a very good chance there would be damage to it.  Armor being taken off, helmets dropped, swords and shields falling over or being dropped is not good for a dance floor.

Where we practice at Candy Cane is a safe enviroment for our members and the general public that stops to watch and ask questions.  There is shade, water, and facilities for them at that location.  Last week our fighters who are squires explained to a very young man that wanted to be a knight that they were not knights yet and if he saw a knight fighting with us the knight would have on a white belt.  That the knight's squires wear red belts.  He look around and announced there were 3 squires and no knights.

The Coastal Regional Knight Marshal came by our last practice in Conroe.  If I remember correctly he will be attending some of our practices in Conroe.  This is not to say that there will never be another practice in Huntsville, just that at this time practice will be held on Tuesday Nights in Candy Cane Park.  The general public interest that we've had at Candy Cane has been very good.  We are more likely to get additional members from that area than we would at the SHSU field where there basically is no parking, no seating and no shade.

Any further questions, feel free to contact me off list.

Lady Runa of The Thundering Herd
Barony of Raven's Fort
Knight Marshal
Deputy Minister of Arts