[Ravensfort] Chevalier?

Berta Allen bertasdragonfly at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 18:09:15 PDT 2011

Ask Runa, she had the 'vision of sorts'?!  =o)

regards,
~chrystal~

Faire Winds and Following Seas
--- On Fri, 8/5/11, HerrDetlef <herrdetlef at gmail.com> wrote:

Out of curiosity, what does the word "Chevalier" have to do with church?

"Cheval" is an old French word for "horse." It's also the root for the word "chivalry." Originally, "chivalry" meant "horsemanship," but economic conditions restricted the ownership of horses to the upper classes, so "chivalry" came to indicate those qualities and manners associated with the best of upper class society--particularly, with those warriors who fought on horseback. (The German word for "knight" is "Ritter," which literally means "rider.")

I remember we used to call Sir John the Plein of Shearn the "Premiere Chevalier" of Ansteorra...he was the first knight dubbed by an Ansteorran king.

Grabrum nav Felted