[Ravensfort] Personae

Mark Crampton apwyvern at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 5 22:08:53 PST 2011

  Ringg ap Wyvern
   I am a Welsh longbowman, now into my 5th decade of life in this, the second decade of the 13th century after the birth of our Lord.. My name is false, a 'nom de guerre' as the Normans would say, but as I have been so named for almost 30 years now, it is the only name I now know.  I changed my name because I did not want my Welsh family to know (or perhaps suffer) that I followed the Norman, Richard, whose family has so beleaguered our country since the coming of William the Bastard.
   I led a small company of other Welsh longbowmen on Richard's Crusade to free Jerusalem in 1190. Richard, being French, much preferred the French crossbow for warfare, but we were able to demonstrate the speed, range and accuracy of our longbows, and so he placed us in his personal company.  Being in Richard's personal company, we wore his two lions on our tunics and surcoats, as well as the Crusader's Cross, instead of the Royal English three lions, as others in his army did. (Bowmen, of course, rarely carried full shields to emblazon, at most small targets).
   When Richard abandoned his army outside Jerusalem in September 1192, many of the army tried to make their own ways home.
   I, and over two score of mixed longbowmen, crossbowmen and men-at-arms stayed in Palestine, vowed ourselves to one another, and took position as a caravan guard company for some wealthy eastern merchants, under the patronage of Saladin himself. As a sworn (and well-experienced) company, we command premium contracts and wages. So long as we do not flaunt our Christianity, the Muslims show us tolerance and even respect (although I, and most of my comrads still have our Crusader's surcoats hidden away), and we have prospered (a little side-dealing with the merchants has certainly helped our fortunes!)
We have traveled throughout Palestine and the Levant, as well as Egypt, Libya and Persia. We have even followed the old Silk Road three times now, traveling so far as the lands of the Mongols, Cathay, and even Koru.
I have had an active, good and fruitful life, having had three wives, and with four living children. Finally, in the fullness of my years, I yielded my position in the Company (and trade) to my sons.
I travel now for my own pleasure and learning, accompanied by my boon Chinese companion, Chloe.

Ringg ap Wyvern
936-827-0067
APWYVERN at YAHOO.COM

"The price of Freedom is the willingness to sudden battle;
Anywhere, Anytime, and with utter recklessness."
--Robert A. Heinlein

Ravensfort mailing list
Ravensfort at lists.ansteorra.org