[Ravensfort] Personae

Sher M runa.herd at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 29 08:02:43 PST 2011

So far I'm somewhere in 10th-12th century.  Shetland Islands (because it was Norse influenced) and known for horses, cattle and dogs.  Have buried 6 husbands that I managed to send off to various wars when they got too frisky.  Some of them survived the wars and battles but when they returned home they just got sicker until they joined the others in the ground.  Each time I held on to the properties I had by my own right and marriage (pesky kin make good fish chum).  I'm loved by my villagers, feared by my kin.  My kin are just thankful I wear clothes so they don't fuss at me for not wearing a head covering.

I learned to read and write by beating my brothers up until they taught me what little they knew from their tutors.  I would also take their swords, spears and daggers from them to practice on trees.  I had to learn how to sew, embroider, cook, and other womanly arts to keep my mother from locking me in my room.  As the only daughter in a fairly secluded area I was allowed a great deal of freedom that normally only males experienced.  More than once in my youth I was punished for dressing in my brothers' clothing.

Being on a sea trade route allowed me to buy, trade or just flat take (if they didn't want to cooperate) all kinds of fabric, gems, spices, weapons, even manuscripts.

Lady Runa of The Thundering Herd
http://www.bedlambazaar.com
http://bedlambazaar.blogspot.com
http://runa-herd.livejournal.com