[Ravensfort] The Lord of The Manor would have me announce:

Hoffpauir, David ENV_DRH at SHSU.EDU
Tue Mar 29 14:53:17 PDT 2011

The Lord of The Manor would have me announce:

Upon the afternoon, last Saturday, beyond our border and across the dale something strange and mystical seems to have occurred.  I have no idea what it was or its significance, but it would appear that the veil may have lifted for the moment on some joyous occasion.

Reports began early that strangely dressed persons had gathered and were going about gesticulating some nonsense about "The King is Coming!" and "The King is Nigh!" And some goofiness about new Nobles for these lands.....

Humph!  Everyone knows that the Lord of the Manor is the only King's man about for a full 10 leagues of land!  So, he sent forth a small contingent of spies and his most gracious and humble emissary (umm... moi, myself) to seek information of this outrageous hullaballoo.

Wouldn't you know it.  The spies all came back late, drunk, and telling wild tales of Men at Arms, swords flashing in the sun, arrows flying, bards enblabberating melodic tunes, drums a beating, pennants flying, feasting, gorging, stately processions of gaily dressed patrons, and a grand and glorious court.  I went over there and I didn't see nothing, except a bunch of horses and some cowboys, partying like they was all to be hung next day and playing some gawd awful fiddling music, called 'Bloograss.' Oh, and of course, drinking beer.

(They were friendly enough, but told me to go home because I was "nekked."  Best I could gather you're considered "nekked" if you're not wearing a huge belt buckle, a ten gallon hat, boots, spurs, and a hanky around your neck...  Anyway, I left but did stumble upon something very, very strange...)

It would appear there is some truth to the story of Kings and Nobles because a token appears to have been left behind.  It is an ancient stone circle.  It's just out there in the cow pasture, on top of a hill, sort of sad and run down.... as if calling its people to come, give it love and care...

It feels magic as you stroll about.  Electric.  Makes your leg hairs stand up and your vision go funny.  As I walked about the circle, I saw cloudy apparitions of couples hand fasted in solemn union, pointing stargazers, quiet souls come there for solace and prayers, raucous midnight gatherings, and even the coronation of a king.  They each must have left a bit of memory behind.  A million ages those Stones must have known.  A million other stories they could likely tell.  They probably even hold a secret, or two...

How it came to be there?  A rift, most certain and its purpose, who knows?  Perhaps it's a sacred monument of great renown in their time.  Perhaps it's the portal from which those strange persons emerge to dance and play and call each other by grand titles. Perhaps it's the last vestige of some great, forgotten Dream.  Perhaps it's left as a gift or here on loan.  Or, perhaps it was just too heavy to lug home.

The Lord of the Manor is in consideration of building a new privy with the stones, but, of course, the gongfermers are on strike and everyone else is afraid it will bring bad luck and swarms of bung fairies...

Anyway, that's what I know.  Strange and all as it seems, maybe those ephemeral folk WILL return with offerings of love and care.

I've got a hunch.  I don't know why I'd ever think such a foolish thing, but, whilst, strolling about, I just saw those Stones as restored to their glory, all tidy, level, straightened, and freshly whitewashed...

It was just a vision though.  Prolly brought on by something funny them cowboys slipped in my barley pop...

Regards,
DSD
Humble Scribe to the Lord of The Manor