[Ravensfort] BOD Ruling

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 19:26:28 PDT 2011

Oh, yes. And Charlemagne and his brother Carloman were both styled rex
francorum ("King of the Franks"), until Carloman's death left Charlemagne
the sole ruler of the Frankish kingdom. So you could probably cite Einhard's
"Vita Caroli". Charlemagne left the title rex francorum to his son, Louis
the Pious (or--my preference--Ludwig der Fromme), who in turn left the title
to three of his sons--Charles the Bald (rex francorum over the western third
of the kingdom/empire), Lothair (rex francorum over the middle third of the
kingdom/empire), and Ludwig der Deutsche (rex francorum over the eastern
third of the kingdom/empire). Indeed, that division of the title rex
francorum lasted well into the middle ages, with the German king styled in
Latin, not rex teutonicum, but rex francorum et imperator romanum.
Curiously, the style rex francorum was shared, while the title imperator
romanum was not (sort of; the title imperator romanum WAS shared between the
western and eastern/Byzantine Roman emperors...again, a royal dignity shared
between members of the SAME SEX).

Again: the relationship between Charlemagne and Carloman, while indeed a
same-sex relationship, was not a SEXUAL relationship (as far as all the
surviving evidence indicates); and the relationsip among Charlemagne's three
grandsons was also not a sexual relationship. STILL--the sharing of the
royal dignity between or among members of the same sex IS PERIOD!