[Ravensfort] A light challenge.

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 19:23:26 PST 2013

How well read up are you on the concept of chivalry? I challenge everybody
in Raven's Fort to read at least one book on the subject. Feel free to read
more if the spirit moves you.

Might I recommend *Chivalry* by Maurice Keen? How about *Knights in History
and Legend* by Constance Brittain Bouchard?

Michael Prestwich's *Knight: The Medieval Warrior's (Unofficial) Manual* looks
promising, as does Charles Phillips' *Complete Illustrated History of
Knights and the Golden Age of Chivalry.*

Or you can go straight to the source and look at the heroic poetry of the
late twelfth and early thirteenth centuries. *The Song of Roland*, the
romances of Chretien de Troyes, the *Nibelungenlied*, or Gottfried von
Strassburg's *Tristan*.

And then check out a Crown Tournament within the next year. The spectacle
is astounding.

There's a lot more to being a knight (little "k") than swinging swords at
people. Check it out :-)

Yours in these Current Middle Ages,
Detlef von Marburg, CSM

--