SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1977

Audra Richards/Dan Charsley noergate at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 4 17:55:18 PST 1980

>Subject: Re: SC - Allergies in general

>    OK, here's my 2 cents worth. Most of the people I know who have
allergies tend to spend
>most of the time in air conditioned environments.  There are several
risk factors there, most
>notably mold and spores living in the ductwork. Also, those who live
that lifestyle (air
>conditioned work, car, home) tend to have minimal exposure to things
that can stress (i.e.
>work out or strengthen) the immune and related systems. Generally
speaking, the more >insular the lifestyle, the worse the allergies. I've
also always harbored a sneaking suspicion
>that it's psychosomatically induced, and is a manifestation of some
kind of self destructive
>stress reaction.

Interesting theory, too bad doesn't work in my case.  Born and raised in
the great outdoors of northern Canada, live in a rural setting, am
normally very healthy.  I do, however, have several violent allergies -
all technically food allergies, all allergies are related to our
wonderful modern chemicals.  Artificial orange colorant, artificial
grape flavoring, asparatame, chemicals in commercial mayonnaise and
yougurt are deadly to me.  None of these are environment oriented, all
of them have affected me for the majority of my life.  You can't tell me
that the allergic reaction of a one year old is psychosomatically, been
there, done that.

Muirghein
Shire of Noergate
http://www3.sympatico.ca/noergate/cook.html