SC - Marrow bones, was Tartys in Applis-

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 27 19:29:07 PST 1996

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Allison commented:
>
> > Now-a-days, they even sell 'boneless' chuck roasts, as though you ought
> > to be glad of them.  Phooey.  I used to save part of my chuck roast bones
> > and tougher bits for my soup.
>
> Well, if I don't have a use for the bone, I'd rather not pay for it. However,
> after hearing some of the comments on this list, I thought I'd save a ham
> bone to add to a soup. Unfortunately, after a few weeks in the refrigerator
> I eventually threw it out.
>
> What is a good way? or the best way? to save left over bones for soup and
> such? I assume they need to be kept refrigerated or frozen, right?

Stefan, the best thing to do is plan to make soup during the week in which you
had the roast, good old fashioned leftovers!  For years I didn't cook like my
mom, but the older my kids get and the more we have going on, the more likely
I am to roast a big ____ on sunday, and we eat it again on Monday, add bits of
it to a casserole on Tuesday, a meat pie on Wednesday and a pot of soup
Thursday, and leftover soup Friday and maybe Saturday too.  I really like to
get my act together and save the various bits in freezer bags so that I can
vary it somewhat, but most of the time we do end up having an all beef week,
followed by an all ham week, followed by an all chicken week.  When the roast
_____ was smallish, we fill in with a big pot of beans.

Bonne