SC - A question on Servers

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 20 13:51:42 PDT 1996

>  One
> nightmarish stint as a server usually "cures" the person of ever doing it
> again, and this is one aspect of our recreation that can be dealt with, if
> we'll just educate the populace as well as the servers.

In Windmasters' Hill, having the tables served by individual "waiters" is the
usual way to go.  Sometimes allowing time for the servers to sit down at their
own table or with friends between courses.  We don't seem to have a problem
with family style serving resulting in someone not getting their share because
of someone else being piggish.  Instead there always seems to be an orphaned
serving returned to the kitchen. If my child or a friend I'm sitting with is
serving at a feast where servers are expected to sit at the tables, I've
learned to fill their plate for them when serving myself, just in case.

As for training servers, our canton has a fellow who enjoys serving and wants
it to be done with style.  We also have a number of teens who want something
to do and who appreciate the reduced feast fee for servers. A very good
combination of circumstances!  I'm always so proud to note that half the
serving crew always seems to be some of our kids!  (They wash dishes too!)

Bonne