Saracen Sauce

PHYLLIS SPURR PSPURR at r03.tdh.state.tx.us
Tue Apr 8 10:24:45 PDT 1997

Recently the gentle preparing the feast for Kingdom Dance & Music
Symposium held a mock feast.  Within the first remove was a dish of
meatballs in Saracen Sauce.  The meatballs were lamb while the
sauce is red.  The cook used a food dye as called for in "Fabulous
Feasts".  We were discussing the possibility of getting the same
coloring without substantially changing the taste of the dish by
using a period food-dye.

We discussed using beet juice, but that would change the taste.
Any suggestions?  Any references to a Saracen Sauce from a period
source?

HL Eowyn ferch Rhys
Seneschal, Elfsea

Phyllis L. Spurr