Hot Drinks

Christi Redeker C-Redeker at mail.dec.com
Wed Apr 9 12:20:32 PDT 1997

Stephen Bloch wrote:

> Gunthar wrote:
> > The best thing I can think of to do is to assist an expirienced feast-master (is
> > that better than "feastocrat"?).  You will learn how to prepare mass quantities
> > of food and how to plan for servings etc...
>
> On the nomenclature issue, how about "chef" or "head cook"?  The fact
> that these terms are comprehensible to modern ears doesn't ENTIRELY
> disqualify them from SCA use :-)

Someone used steward earlier, and even that, while not precisely
correct, is better than mumble-o-crat.

> And if we're talking nomenclature (I know this is going to come up
> sooner or later, so let's get it out of the way), the word is "course".
> Not "remove", but "course".  The earliest OED citation of "remove" meaning
> a course in a meal is due to Benjamin Franklin.

Thank you thank you thank you mar Joshua!!!!

(I was about to get on my 'proper use of language' high horse....  Now
if we could just get people to realize that smalls are underwear not
children....)

Keilyn