Re(2): Spice Use and Food Poisoning, etc.

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Apr 9 13:14:09 PDT 1997

Gunthar wrote:

> > On the nomenclature issue, how about "chef" or "head cook"?  The fact
> > that these terms are comprehensible to modern ears doesn't ENTIRELY
> > disqualify them from SCA use :-)
>
> I don't think it disqualifies them from SCA use but it depends upon the way it is
> used.  I have concerns over "chef" for two reasons.  First it implies a mundane
> ranking and second it could make things confusing for the listener.  Saying "I
> have been a chef many times." could imply either that a person has "feastocratted"
> several events or been the "chef de cuisine" for a nice mundane restaurant.
> Another aspect of confusion would be my original post.  Imagine the way it would
> have been interpeted if I had said "go study under a chef for a while."  Meaning
> feastocrat.
>
> I prefer "Head Cook" but I'm not thrilled with that either.  The phrase "...and
> bottle washer." always runs through my head when I hear it.

I don't know about you, I've washed an awful lot of bottles in my day.
<grin> (And I always thought that was "Chief Cook and Bottlewasher"?)

> I may not like "feastocrat" but at least we know what we are talking about.

I wrote a moderately funny fake event announcement for a class I was
teaching (on How Not To Speak Forsoothly) in which I guessed that
"feastocrat" was moderately safely translated as "those who rule by
large meals"....

Are there other options?  Cook is one I've used with moderate success,
as in "I am the cook for the Baronial Kumquat Tourney", or "I am cooking
a feast this weekend"....

Keilyn