Re(2): Re(2): Spice Use and Food Poisoning, etc.

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Wed Apr 9 14:43:44 PDT 1997

Adamantius wrote:

> Well, for one thing, cassia and cinnamon are not the same plant, and are
> different in character above and beyond their geographical source. Also,
> in Medieval Europe, the part of the cassia that was used was the bud,
> not the bark. You can still find the buds if you know where to look, but
> they're not exactly common in the West today.

I never said they were the same plant.  My point is that we have two different
plants using the same name for a spice!  I believe, however, that the part of
the cassia plant that is used today is the bark, though it tends to be thinner
and tougher than the inner bark of the ceylon cinnamon plant.

Cassia is the cinnamon variant most common today, but it is easy enough to
find Ceylon at Pennsic.  Once you've had Ceylon, you won't want to go back to
Cassia.

Derdriu
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/