New to List

gypsy1 gypsy1 at unm.edu
Wed Apr 9 15:48:19 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:
> =

> Adamantius said:
> =

> Then again, how about egg nog, either commercial or the real stuff, mad=
> without alcohol? Pretty similar to some of the posset or caudle
> beverages from late period, comparatively nutritious, and fairly
> filling. As with caudles and possets, a meal in a mug, under the right
> circumstances.
> =

> Hmm. I don't think I've got many of these in my files at all. Could
> you give some period recipes and redactions? I'd like to add them
> to my files or create a new file. I'm not sure I would make them
> for myself, but then I don't care for eggnog either.
> =

> What is the differance between a caudle and a posset?
> =

> Thanks.
>   Stefan li Rous
>   markh at risc.sps.mot.com

There are no hard and fast differences; probably the easiest, but by no
means foolproof distinction would be to say that a caudle is thickened
with eggs, and a posset with grain (usually oats, but not always). There
are both possets and caudles that contain both, and they may or may not
be sweetened. A posset is more likely to contain milk than a caudle
is.There are various recipes in the Forme of Cury for caudles of various
types, but they seem to have reached the height of their popularity in
the Elizabethan age. They lasted at least until the late 17th century; I
believe Pepys drank them.
 =

A basic caudle would be something like this: =

2 cups white wine or ale (a lightly hopped bock is great for this!)
8 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 whole nutmeg, quartered, or grated nutmeg garnish

Combine all and beat in a large bowl on a double boiler until thick. The
general rule for custards of this type is that it will coat the back of
a spoon when it is done. Some cooks just bring it to 140=B0 F and hope fo=
the best. Remove nutmeg quarters if used. Serve in mugs or bowls with
grated nutmeg if you didn't use the quarters. Serves 4 - 6, depending on
whether you like this sort of thing.

The major departure from proper period technique that I consistently
employ is the beating in a double boiler. Period recipes generally call
for the ingredients to be beaten  together, and then brought to a simmer
until thick. This method produces more curdled lumps than my method,
which is pretty similar to a modern zabaglione or weinschaum. Some
people claim the name "caudle" has common roots with the word "curdle".
I don't believe this, though. I think it's more likely to be connected
to the French "chaud", meaning "hot".

Check sources like Markham, Digby, Plat, Dawson, or  Murrell for
late-period recipes. Possets will be found in the same sources; they
survive today in the form of the various sweet Scottish broses.

Happy bibation, but don't forget the libation...
Adamantius