Linneah's Research Paper

linneah@erols.com linneah at erols.com
Thu Apr 10 05:07:07 PDT 1997

Sue Wensel wrote:

> It's hard to say just how much some spices were reduced in potency from
> today's.  I know it is true, simply because we have so hybridized
> *everything* to get the exact taste we require -- especially here in the
> States (Mexicans hate the taste of our corn -- they think it has no flavor
> except sweet, which is what we want).
>
> Another big question is just what flavor changes have we experienced as a
> result of our botanical tempering? And, while we have spices and plants of the
> same name today as they did then, which ones are different? Are there any
> beyond Cinnamon/cassia and Cinnamon/ceylon, which, while sharing a name, are
> quite different in flavor?
>
> Derdriu

There is also the fact that, over time, spices loose their potency.  If the journey
from where they were grown and processed took months and was without the
benefit of modern packaging, it is possible that the cook would have had to
have a heavy hand in order to get an adequate representation of the spice in a
dish.

Linneah