sca-cooks Re: Research paper on Medieval foods.

Peggy A. Stonnell izzie at vcn.bc.ca
Thu Apr 10 06:10:09 PDT 1997

At 05:53 PM 4/9/97 -0600, Derdrui (Hi Derdrui!):
>On Wed, 9 Apr 1997 Terry_A._Harper at hud.gov wrote:
>> >Does anyone have a hot honey-based, non-alcoholic drink?  Other
>> >ideas??
>> >Derdriu
>>           You might try sima, which is a non-fermented Norse drink,
>>           made with honey, water, and lemon.  Very refreshing!
>>           Rhiain
>Another alternative is herbal tea, (ie, peppermint), w/honey and lemon...
>may be simple but good when done with fresh peppermint and no
>chinese-type tea
>Rita

I recently did a "Russian" Event, and served "Honey Water". Although I found
no recipe, I did find referances to it (which I can dig out ((I hope)) if
anyone is frantic for them, off line). The essence of the recipe is that
energetic young serfs would get a big vessel and mix honey in it, and the
complaint I read was that the orange or lemon was "waived over the top",
justifying the name orange (or lemon) Honey Water. This was sold on street
corners in city markets, and amazingly is still sold on street corners in
city markets today in Russia (a friend went there recently on business and
partook). My Redaction:  2 gallons very cold water, 1 cup fine honey, and a
pound of fruit, sliced thinly. Mix well, add ice if you have it, and let
stand  on the serving table until someone brings you an empty vessel and
says "can we have some more?"

BTW: The true definition of an addict: Someone who gets 124 e-mail messages,
DOES NOT DUMP THE NEWSGROUP, and then reads them all. I'm glad to find you
folks. We've been needing this for a long time. I am a 14th cent.  woman of
Irish/Scottish descent born on the Aisle of Man. I've been living this
madness for 12 years, and been cooking since my second event ( a royal
progress that I inherited when the head cook quit!). My family likes
rissoles (I've used my evil influence there). I am the not-for-long
seneschal of Endless Hills, former Chancellor Minor for Aethelmearc ( and
still millitantly pro-child), Head of the Endless Hills fledgling Cook's
Guild, and Head Cook for Aethelmearc Crown (heaven help me). If you come to
Crown, feel free to stop by the kitchen, introduce yourself, and peel a
carrot or two.

Cheers!

Lady Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon

"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957