sca-cooks Re: intro

Thu Apr 10 07:21:57 PDT 1997

Someone (Sean?) wrote:
  > Any have any suggestions on how to get
  > comfortable cooking for 200 rather than 40?

Gunther wrote:
  Comfortable?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  You'll never be comfortable as Head cook!  Abandon all hope!

Nope.

Plan, plan, plan some more.  Make lists, work out timelines, make some more
lists.  Have people you know, and trust, practice the recipes and take
charge of each one.

It isn't that bad.

There is a world of difference in technique between 50 and 100, and another
between 100 and 200.  For 40-50, you can cook just as you would at home.
For 100 you need to dish out sub-parts.  For 200, you need more than one
cook per dish.  (As a rule.)  Food prep times increase: and the time to boil
water and heat pans goes up dramatically.  (Cube-square law: volume goes up
with the cube of the radius, but surface area goes up with the square, so
heating takes longer.)

The one thing we tend to forget, is how much SPACE it takes to transport
food for 200.  Fills my mini-van.

	Tibor