sca-cooks RE: End of the Feast

Christi Redeker C-Redeker at mail.dec.com
Thu Apr 10 08:10:19 PDT 1997

> Ok, being the new kid on the block, I'll bite -- what's granatus?

Pomegranate syrup.  The medieval Arabic sources contain a lot of recipes
for drink syrups: mix some kind of flavoring with water and sugar,
reduce it to a syrup, and it should keep unrefrigerated for weeks or
months.  To serve, dilute with hot or cold water; ratios aren't
specified in the sources, but I've found that anywhere from 1:4 to 1:10
works, depending on the flavor and the purpose (e.g. weaker is generally
better for fighters coming off the field on a 90-F day).

For granatus in particular, mix 1 or 2 parts pomegranate juice (either
prebottled, as one can find easily in my Russian Jewish neighborhood,
or squeeze your own) with 1 part sugar, bring to a boil, and simmer
uncovered for half an hour or more.
					Steve / Joshua