sca-cooks Re: Terms

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Thu Apr 10 08:06:53 PDT 1997

> BTW, I am looking for some good period vegetarian dishes from Brittain,
> anyone know any besides spinach and mushrooms?

Tarts for Ember-day, basically an onion quiche.  If you get good onions
(esp. Vidalias), it actually has a sweet flavor.

Crustade Lombarde, another custardy pie-filling whose meat-day version
is largely beef marrow.  The fast-day version calls for almond milk in
place of the milk, and chopped dates, figs, and prunes in place of the
beef marrow.  I've made this and served it successfully to non-SCA
types.

I'm at work right now, and don't remember offhand which sources those
come from, but both of them are late medieval (probably 15th-c.) English.

					Steve / Joshua