sca-cooks Transport of Foodstuffs

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Thu Apr 10 11:11:22 PDT 1997

linneah at erols.com wrote:

> It seems that everytime someone offers documentation for a recipe(receipt)
> that they have taken one written in period and "done their best with it".  Does
> this mean that a cook shouldn't create their own recipies and call them "period"
> because they are based on ingredients and techniques that would have been
> used in period?  I have come up with a wonderful spiced and fruited ground
> prok dish that I would love to serve as well as having others in mind waiting to
> burst forth.
>
> Any comments (as if I didn't know)?

IMHO, I'd be very cautious about creating recipes and I certainly
wouldn't bill them as period.  But I certainly have done it, and will do
it again, in areas where I feel I'm sufficiently experienced and
knowledgeable on the subject.

I commend to you the really excellent article in the latest TI on a
Winter Soup.  Entertainingly enough, it was a similar process that I'd
gone through *on the same dish* and arriving at similar results....

Keilyn
"My name is Keilyn and I'm an Authenticity Mavin"