sca-cooks Terminology

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Thu Apr 10 13:07:19 PDT 1997

  >                                                               Use the
  >string, and some chopsticks or pencils, to suspend the bag of almonds in the
  >container.  Let it cool, and drain.  You can twist the bag to strain more
  >liquid out when it is cool.   Mix in the sugar, making it not so thick that
  >you can't get it into the eggshells, later.

  What part are we keeping and mixing with the sugar?  The stuff in the bag,
  or the liquid that  drains out?

Sorry.  I followed the original, which said (in modern translation):

  "Take a fair canvas, and pour the [almond milk] on it, and let the
  water run out.  Take it out of the cloth, and put it on a platter,
  and add sugar to it."

So, I took the stuff left after the water ran away.  And discarded the
water.

Please, though, give the original a careful reading, and see if you think it
might work the other way.  Derdrui's friend made what sounded like an almond
flavored gelatin (like they serve for desert in some chinese restaurants).
That implies her friend used the liquid equivalent, and dumped the solid
almond bits.

So, as I alluded to in earlier posts, half the fun is figuring out what to
do.  What do you think the original says?  I'll repeat it here.

	Tibor

  "Eyroun in lentyn. Take Eyroun, & blow owt (t)at ys with-ynne atte o(th)er
  end; (th)an waysshe (th)e schulle clene in warme Water; (th)an take gode
  mylke of Almaundys, & sett it on (th)e fyre; (th)an take a fayre canvas,
  & pore (th)e mylke (th)er-on, & lat renne owt (th)e water; (th) take it
  owt on (t)e clo(th)e, & gader it to-gedere with a platere; (th)en putte
  sugre y-now (th)er-to; (th)an take (th) halvyndele, & colour it with Safroun,
  a lytil, & do (th)er-to pouder Canell; (th)an take & do of (th)e whyte
  in the ne(th)er end of (th)e schulle, & in myddel (th)e yolk, & fylle
  it vppe with (th) whyte; but not to fulle, for goyng ouer; (th)an sette
  it in (th)e fyre & roste it, & serue forth."