sca-cooks Transport of Foodstuffs

Beth Morris bmorris at access.digex.net
Thu Apr 10 13:18:33 PDT 1997

Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

>        Add scotch, honey, and cream to oat-water.  Mix until all ingredients
>        are blended.  Serve at room temperature or chilled.
>
> But... the purist has to ask.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, Athol Brose is not period.  Do you know more?

Athelbrose is almost certainly period, but I suspect it's one of those
dishes where the modern version is a bit more fun than its austere
ancestor, which appears to have been  made of oats and water, kept at
body temperature until a tiny amount of fermentation has taken place.
Definitely not much fun...

Adamantius