sca-cooks chocolate

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Apr 10 16:22:58 PDT 1997

Tibor said:

>I gather that carrots have changed, as well.  I'm sure meat animals are less
>fatty and more meaty.

I remember carrots being discusses on the Riatlo several years ago.
Apparently
until a mutation very late in the Middle Ages carrots were white. (Yuck!) and
I imagine, smaller.

I would think modern meat would be the opposite of what you suggest. I
imagine
it would be tougher meat with less fat. We raise meat for food and slaughter
the
animals when they are relatively young. Much of medieval meat was from
animals
that lived their life free-range (chickens and pigs) or was from animals
slaughtered after they got too old for other work (horses and cattle/oxen).
Yes,
some animals, those that you didn't have feed for, were slaughtered in the
fall.

Stefan li Rous