sca-cooks Creativity

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Thu Apr 10 16:35:04 PDT 1997

Beth Morris wrote:

> Philip W. Troy wrote:
>
> > Athelbrose is almost certainly period, but I suspect it's one of those
> > dishes where the modern version is a bit more fun than its austere
> > ancestor, which appears to have been  made of oats and water, kept at
> > body temperature until a tiny amount of fermentation has taken place.
> > Definitely not much fun...
>
> Blert.  Warm, slightly spoiled gruel.  Not my idea of a festive holiday
> drink....
>
> ("Hurry up! Eat it! Its spoiling!" G. Carlin)
>
> Keilyn

Precisely why I favor the modern version at times like New Year's or St
Andrew's Day, or the occasional Burns Night. I was only responding to
the question of whether athelbrose is period. I must point out,
additionally, that there isn't enough cash on earth to get me to consume
rolled oats. Sawdust tastes better, and cooks even faster than quick
oats of any description, but then as with instant oatmeal and minute
rice, taste is in proportion to convenience.

Adamantius

Adamantius