sca-cooks no potatoes!!!

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Apr 10 16:59:21 PDT 1997

Kay Jarrell wrote:

> You know, the reason cooks bitch and moan about how hard it all was is so those
> who see food "appear" on the table will have some small clue as to how much
> work, time, training, experience, frustration, diplomacy, effort and late ngihts
> went into not just the plate they see but the education of the cook.
>
> I have had few rewards so sweet as a round of applause from an SCA feast, or the
> members of a class here at work, but the work had to get done, first.
>
> Kay of Tre Asterium C.L.

Agreed on all counts. I was one of the ones who originally made comments
that may have been misconstrued as complaints. They were not intended as
such.

The difficulty of the SCA cook's job is directly related to how
ambitious he or she is, how high the standards employed are, and the
extent to which the beginner is willing to be guided by those more
experienced. In short, it is only as difficult or easy as you make it.
For me, it can be pretty difficult only because I prefer challenges,
almost never precook anything, and will, if necessary, throw away a dish
that doesn't meet my standards. Not everyone needs to be so compulsive
as I am...but I still have a blast in kitchens, and almost always have
to turn away offers of help because I can't fit everyone who offers in
the kitchen.

Adamantius (yeah, me again!)