sca-cooks kingdom feast

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Apr 10 23:03:21 PDT 1997

Greetings,

I said earlier today that I thought carrots until late in period were
white not orange. After searching through my file food-msg, I found
two messages on carrots. It looks like I was probably wrong and they
were red as Adamantius suggested. Since one of these messages gives
what I think is a good indication that they were red and because the
other indicates other probably differances in fruits and vegatables
since then, I've pasted them below.

Stefan li Rous
> Tibor said:
>
> >I gather that carrots have changed, as well.  I'm sure meat animals are
less
> >fatty and more meaty.
>
> I remember carrots being discusses on the Riatlo several years ago.
> Apparently
> until a mutation very late in the Middle Ages carrots were white. (Yuck!)
and
> I imagine, smaller.

Carrots in the Middle Ages appear to have been, essentially, parsnips
with a red skin like a radish. I understand that the major cause of
their being as they are today is nineteenth-century hybridization.

Adamantius