sca-cooks Re: [ck] multiples

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Thu Apr 10 23:36:23 PDT 1997

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:29:33 -0400 Jeffrey Miller <jeffm at genghis.com>
writes:

>Hmmm..  If it's quicker to boil 2 3-gallon pots of water than one
>6-gallon, is it faster to cook 2 3-gallon pots of soup than one
>6-gallon? (Presupposing fire space)
>
> =8^)
>
>-Eogan, surely being silly-

No, Eogan, you are not being silly.  Given a finite amount of heat that
can or should be applied to any pot, it takes longer to transfer that
heat to the larger pot and its much larger contents.  It is so important
to know your kitchen.  For various reasons, I have sometimes only been
able to get into the kitchen on the day of the feast.  Every autocrat
reassured me that I'd have everything I needed, and I'm sure they did so
in good faith but they didn't always know.  Having 8 burners on a stove
is great--if you have room to put 8 BIG pots on them.  Otherwise, those
little 8 burners hold 4 BIG pots.  A 'commercial oven' sounds great, too,
but I've encountered some awfully shallow ovens.  Once, there were no
oven racks.  Another time, there were no pots and pans and cookware
provided.  On another occasion, the refrigerators were padlocked.  Raise
Cain, fellow Feast Masters, and get into that kitchen ahead of time!  And
carry a portable microwave oven in your car trunk at all times. ;-)

Allison