sca-cooks Transport of Foodstuffs

Susan A Allen dragon7777 at juno.com
Thu Apr 10 23:51:04 PDT 1997

A note on aging meat, my Grandmother used to cook in the timber
camps around Washington and Oregon (this would be 1910' to 1920's)

The men would slaughter a cow or pig each week and hang it from
a tree, she would cut and cook from it all week until gone,
I believe it may have had a calico sheet over it.

This was cooking under primitive conditions and the meat
did get high quicker in the warmer weather, these guys ate it.

Just a thought, food standards change over time
Refrigeration is credited with reducing stomach cancer, because
it keeps food 'fresh' longer.

Susan