sca-cooks Subtlety

linneah@erols.com linneah at erols.com
Fri Apr 11 05:00:28 PDT 1997

At 11:57 PM -0700 10/4/97, Susan A Allen wrote:
>>Actually, it was my friend and it was gelatinous.  May have even used
>>something as a gelling agent (rennet?) (I don't remember - it was a
>>big
>You could use gelatin, (by product of boiling bones, especially the feet)
>of cows, pigs, etc.)  I would probably use the KNOX product, since
>it is easier to make and keep.  It will gel the almond milk very nicely.

The chinese recipe which is remarkably similar to this one (except the
modern version uses condensed milk ... ugh) uses agar-agar as a gelling
agent.  is this in any way "period", and would it have been known in
Europe?  (I _adore_ this dessert, and no-one else does - too bland, they
say ..)

Fyrean ...

I have the simplest tastes.  I am always satisfied with the best.

                                           - Oscar Wilde