sca-cooks Transport of Foodstuffs

Donna J. White skunkkiller at juno.com
Fri Apr 11 07:00:53 PDT 1997

>IMHO, I'd be very cautious about creating recipes and I certainly
>wouldn't bill them as period.  But I certainly have done it, and will
>do it again, in areas where I feel I'm sufficiently
>experienced and knowledgeable on the subject.

          IMHO, a modern cook who "normally" doesn't use recipes,
          myself included, could feasibly cook an entire feast without
          using recipes in period, if they have an understanding of
          period foods, spices, ect.  You don't see recipes for
          roasting meat, but we know they ate it.  You don't see
          recipes for many breads, however, they baked it.  There are
          many good, easily prepared, very eatable foods which are
          period that can be served at a feast without using heavy
          spices and such.  I did the feast for Knowne World Academy
          of Arts and Sciences last year in the Steppes, and except
          for the carrots, the menu didn't have any recipes.  It
          included roast beef, grilled chicken, beef and barley soup,
          corned beef and cabboge, a rice pilaf, assorted cheeses and
          breads, fruit compote, fresh berries, and shortcake.  The
          carrots were a dish my laurel had made and I used the
          general ingredients from the recipe she gave me, but I never
          follow one to the "T".  I got many compliments on the feast
          and a lot of positive feedback.  I believe some dishes were
          so common in period that there was never a need to write
          them down.

          HL Rhiain ferch Muirgheal
          Barony of Elfsea
          Kingdom of Ansteorra