sca-cooks Transport of Foodstuffs

Anne Oliver Anne_Oliver at lpl.org
Fri Apr 11 08:31:07 PDT 1997

  >>Remind me to mention the fun we had with redacting a brewing recipe in
  Gode Kokery.<<

  What is Gode Kokery?  Is that an SCA collection?  Who did it, what's in
  it, where do you get it?   And you are reminded--so, what's the story?
  And, can you or someone, give us a better citation on Castelvetro?

One of the five cookbooks in Curye on Inglisch.

Basically, there are two recipes in a row: one for mead, and one for a fine
and poynaunt mead.  We decided to make the later.

Our local brewing guild is a lot of fun: so we sat around, and argued and
debated amounts and quantities, and measured things, and looked up things,
and came up with a proposed redaction.  And, we trooped off to the kitchen
to make it.

Except me:  I was sure we were wrong.  And, a few minutes later, I said
"Guys?  Grab a modern cookbook, and look up applesauce?"  Our ratios of
liquid to apples were so small, that we would have made applesauce, and not
mead.

So, I hit the books again: and I became convinced that the two recipes Go
Together: you make the mead, and to make it "Fine and Poynaunt" you add the
apple goop as an adjunct.

We did, and it did, and it was nice.  Recommended.  But, to this day, I am
not sure we got anything right.  I would adore it if other people checked
the receipt, and did their own redactions.  I have a retyped copy of the
original at http://www.math.harvard.edu/~schuldy/brewing.html

Castelvetro: Stefan Li Rous asked for more information.  It appears I did
not save a copy of what I sent.  Stefan, I presume you saved it?  Can you
repost?

	Tibor