sca-cooks Stuff for soup

Donna J. White skunkkiller at juno.com
Fri Apr 11 09:04:07 PDT 1997

> On the other hand, how would you know if what you create was something a
> period person would say "Yech" to?  Do you know, for example, which foods
> were hot and which were cold?

> Do you pepper your ice cream?  Why not?  You'd add cinnamon to ice cream,
> and it's nearly the same thing!  Most period recipes for spices call for
> both cinnamon and pepper....
>
> It's the same thing with period.
>
>         Tibor (Adds a touch of tabasco to cream sauce: but not ice cream.)

	This is an important consideration, to my mind. I do feel that it is
possible to create new dishes based on one's knowledge of medieval
cooking, but not without much experience. On another list recently, a
lady asked about period recipe books, saying that _Fabulous Feasts_ was
the only one she had access to. Would she, based on her current level of
knowledge, be able to accurately create a recipe that would have
resembled known period dishes? Probably not. On the other hand, I feel
that one of the master cooks of the Society could create a dish that,
based on their experience, would not be out of place in a western
European feast. As long as we remain aware of what we know, and more
importantly what we don't know, we can be creative.

	Yumitori