sca-cooks Greetings

Aonghas MacLeoid (B.G. Morris) hylndr at ionline.net
Fri Apr 11 09:54:44 PDT 1997

  	This is an important consideration, to my mind. I do feel that it is
  possible to create new dishes based on one's knowledge of medieval
  cooking, but not without much experience. On another list recently, a
  lady asked about period recipe books, saying that _Fabulous Feasts_ was
  the only one she had access to.

This is a good point.  FabuFeasts managed to take period recipes, and
modernize them incorrectly and badly.  If the author couldn't get it right,
it is hubris to think that we could.

Now, if Katerine told me "I made up this recipe, but it is period in feel
and style" I'd believe her.  If for no other reason, than she could cite
chapter and verse of where each ingredient came from, and why.

I've done something similar.  I have had the hubris to take 3 or 4 recipes
for a similar thing, and make a pastiche of them.  I might again. But I can
always tell you why and how I made the changes I did.

	Tibor