sca-cooks Farmgirls Version

Christi Redeker C-Redeker at mail.dec.com
Fri Apr 11 12:20:00 PDT 1997

This is my version on the leaner vs. fattier meat deal.

I was raised on a ranch and I know that any stock that graze out are
going to be leaner than those fed by the rancher.

During period times, I believe, most small farmers would have kept their
cattle in pens due to not being able to allow them to graze out.  I know
that pigs were allowed out to graze in the forests alot.  And that they
were closer in breed to the feral type of boar hunted.  Cattle that the
major land owners would have had would probably been allowed to graze.

Also, younger animals are more fatty and tender.

My conclusions as such, is that meat now is probably more lean.  Cattle
ranches that supply butchers are usually feeding their cattle in pens to
keep them fattened up.  Also, most cattle that are going to be
butchered, are killed before they turn one.  These statements also ring
true for hogs on ranches.
Christi Redeker
C-Redeker at mail.dec.com
Dow Workstation Service Center