sca-cooks Cassia and ceylonica

Fiona P. bilby at matra.com.au
Sat Apr 12 01:49:52 PDT 1997

Keilyn,

>> providing my diners and myself with a small experience of the Real
Middle Ages.<<

Probably this is where we are apt to hold different opinions.  I have
long since accepted that there is no way of knowing how much anything I
cook is like a real medieval food.  Remember Lord Ras' comments on the
four items he got with the same recipe?  And it's more than that.  The
methods you have grown up using--the taste, texture, flavor,
- --everything--varies with each cook.  I have lots of Geman cookbooks, in
both languages.  I've lived in Germany and eaten in private homes as well
as restaurants, but when I follow the same recipe, the result is quite
different.  The only thing that's the same is the spaetzle, because I
learned it at Eberhardt's elbow, doing what he told me and showed me.  I
try to redact recipes that conform to what descriptions we might have,
but I never kid myself that I've done medieval cooking.

Allison