sca-cooks SCA cooks Sources for period spices

Alys of Foxdale foxdale at wolfstar.com
Sat Apr 12 07:41:17 PDT 1997

I do believe,, IMHO, that when it comes torecipes and the like.   There is a
very good case to be made FOR experimentation of almost anykind using period
ingredients and tasts ((as well or poorly known as they are)).
I would base that case on the fact that I know of three families in which the
females have a recipe that they will not teach to anyone except their
daughters, combine this with the fact (if I recall corectly) most people back
then could not read even their own names much less a recipe.   And I would
say that far more has been lost to time and would be period than we will know
until someone can event the time machine and go back and find out.

By the way, anyone know any period recipes for pies, preferably berries but
since pumpkin is out, any would do.

Lars
((Gray Knave at aol.com))