sca-cooks kingdom feast differances

Mon Apr 14 06:08:39 PDT 1997

Sharon L. Harrett wrote about this:

> > There's just one problem with the Icelandic Medical Miscellany: while it
> > appears to have been written (possibly) by an Icelandic author, and
> > discovered in Iceland, the recipes it contains are believed to have been
> > acquired by the author while at medical school in one of the great
> > Southern European centers of learning: I don't remember if it was
> > Sienna, the Languedoc, or perhaps Spain. I think it was Provence,
> > though. So, the Miscellany appears actually to be a French cookbook
> > transported to Iceland.
> >
> > Yes, I know life would be much simpler if stuff like this didn't happen,
> > but what can I say? That's the way the oubley crumbles.
> >
> > Adamantius
> >
> Hmmmmm, since I only have the one page, I had no idea, other than to take
> the translator's word. Any ideas on the date of the original? The recipes
> that I have seem to be somewhat more primitive than my other sources (mostly
> in the same collection, but I have a few more) BTW, the "Icelandic Chicken"
> redaction by His Grace has become a favorite feast food down here. :)
>
> Ceridwen

I just checked on that, and Cariadoc's collection refers to it as 15th
century, possibly based on a lost 13th-century manuscript. Whether this
13th-century manuscript is the original source, I'm not sure.

Wow...the last time I saw "chicken in a rock" was A.S. XXIV. It was
based on an English tranlation of the original recipe, and the redaction
was mine.  In fact, I don't think I had heard the word "redaction" until
after that.

But I agree, it's a fine dish.

Adamantius