SC - Good headcooks vs. great co

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Mon Apr 14 14:26:24 PDT 1997

About Sulfites: Just because the wine is home-made does not mean it is free
of sulfites. The nasty critters are available in any home-brewing store in
tablet form, to be added to wine or beer or mead when you want fermentation
to stop or slow down. Some home brewers use them for sanitation (rinsing the
bottle in a strong solution).If you get migraines, you must always ask,
because Homebrewers don't usually add these to the ingredients list. If I am
cogitating correctly, the sulfite tablets are called Camden Tablets.

About Migraines and homeopathy:  Oddly, I had this discussion just yesterday
with  a woman whose grandchild suffered from them. I have attacked the
problem on two fronts: First, since starting allergy medication I seldom
have one (we're down to  about two a year). Second, bio feedback and
relaxation techniques help solve some of the blood flow problems, since the
more it hurts, the tighter you clench
your neck and scalp, cutting off the blood supply further and making it hurt
more. Thirdly, I use a preparation called MIGRAID, which is either in the
form of tiny tablets dissolved under the tongue OR in the form of tablets to
be swallowed (the dissolved one work faster and wear off faster). I buy it
at a Medecine Shoppe pharmaccy (Chemist's to you brits reading this). It
contains Calendula, and I have heard that catnip is also helpful along with
feverfew. I take Migraid with 2 aspirin, and the combination does the trick
for me.

I also find that a very warm bath, which relaxes muscles and increases blood
flow to be a big help.

Triggers: Allergies combined with too much salt, sugar or cafeine, or
fatigue, and a time-frame in my personal cycle. Any two of those factors
plus that time-frame will give me a migraine. Rather than play headache
roulette, I have chosen to alter my lifestyle. Now I am relatively
headache-free for the last five years or so. I've been getting them every
2-3 months since I was 12 or 13.

BTW--I experience the whole spectrum: Blurred vision, extreme sensitivity to
light and sound, acute nausea, and a longing to be put out of my misery.
Aoife

"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957