SC - Re: sca-cooks Turnips

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 14 15:36:01 PDT 1997

>>and the honey
both keeps out air and provides too rich a medium for new bad stuff to
grow.<<

So, Katherine, is that why we dilute the honey to make the mead?  ;-)

There's also a reference, although I don't remember where it is, to Anne
of Cleves cooking pigeons and keeping them 'in their own fat'.

Has anyone tried this in the modern day?  Most of us don't have cool/cold
cellars anymore.  I wonder what would happen on the pantry shelf?   I do
know that something forgotten in a back corner of the refrigerator will
grow 'cures'.  OTOH, I still keep my can of bacon grease and it stays
good, unless there's some meat juice.  I'd like to try it, but I'm a
little leery of the idea.  Especially if an earlier thread was correct
and there really are more 'bugs' like e. coli around today.  Other
opinions?

Allison