SC - Re: sca-cooks Feast size?

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Mon Apr 14 23:07:03 PDT 1997

Dearest Lor Mandrigal of Mu:

Joy, rapture, huzza's - finally there is something I know a little
about!  I can finally impart some knowledge to someone else, since I
have been soaking up learned discourses for the last few weeks, much
like a sponge.

There are a couple of ways that were used to make breads without the
introduction of processed yeast.  One is the use of a potato starter.  I
must admit, I don't know the details of this one, but I know where I can
find them, so will post tomorrow.

Yeast left from brewing, either ale or wine, was also used, at least in
the historical books I have on English, Scot, Irish and Welsh baking in
the period from the 11th to 16th century.  I have no reason to think
that the same procedure wasn't used in the rest of the world.  I don't
think that I would like to bake with the lees of brewing, though.  But
again, maybe that is only my taste.

A sponge was also made and left to sit out for a day or two (much like
sourdough) to collect wild yeasts.  It works well, but again, it is much
like sourdough.

The French did - and still do - use something called a levain.  It is a
pc of dough kept from the last batch of bread and used to introduce
yeast into another batch of dough.  Mind you, it takes 3 days to make a
loaf of bread.  I day to culture the levain; one day to make the sponge
and then, the third day to bake the bread.  But what heavenly, crusty
bread it is.  Since I have learned to bake it, I always have levain
handy.  It will keep in the regfrigerator for at least 2 weeks (the
longest I have kept it), but it must come to room temperature before
using.

Enough for now.  I remain,

Brigid Morgan ap Crawford of Shrewsbury