SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #48

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Tue Apr 15 14:20:12 PDT 1997

Greetings,

Back on Saturday, April 12, Katerine/Terry said:

>For what it's worth: there's a medieval recipe for keeping venison that
>seals it in a container immersed in honey after cooking.  The principle is
>presumably similar: the cooking kills bad stuff in the meat, and the honey
>both keeps out air and provides too rich a medium for new bad stuff to
>grow.

It took me a second, but I believe what she meant was "for keeping venison
by immersing it in honey and then sealing it in a container". Am I correct
Katerine? I can see putting the cooked venison in a container and then
immersing the container in the honey but I don't think that is what is
meant.

Anybody ever tried preserving meat this way? Sounds like it would be
great for meat you were going to grill.

Hmm. Wax is used to seal cheeses for preserving them now. I assume
it was done in period even though wax was expensive. Is there any
evidence of wax being used to seal meats? Or perhaps as seals on
jars of vegatables? If so, would this be period canning?

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com