SC - Re: sca-cooks Re[2]: Atholbrose.

Aonghas MacLeoid (B.G. Morris) hylndr at ionline.net
Tue Apr 15 18:37:02 PDT 1997

Terry Nutter wrote:

> >Chiquart. Is Chiquart full of references to eel, anise, caraway, or
> >quince confit?
>
> Don't know, offhand; but "French confits of pork, goose, and duck originate
> in Savoy" is rather a different claim from "confits originate in Savoy",
> or even from "confits of pork, goose, and duck do."   The former may
> well be true (whether or not they turn up in Chiquart); the latter two,
> I think, are not.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Katerine/Terry

Again, I was just looking for a specific piece of information about
Chiquart. Ah, well...

Regarding the splitting of hares, also good, by the way, in fat, in
confit, in France and elsewhere, Savoyard style or otherwise, I made
none of the above claims. I said, essentially, that there are some
people who believe that confits (referring specifically to the same
confits referred to in the other paragraphs of my post) originated in
Savoy. I agree that the three scenarios you outline are very different;
they also are very different from what I said. Statements taken out of
context are easy to misunderstand.

Regarding the statements themselves, I agree with your assessment of the
first, more or less. Ditto the second. As per the third, we seem to have
no way of knowing, which is why I asked about Chiquart.

Adamantius