Re(2): SC - Re: Spice Use and Food Poisoning, etc.

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Wed Apr 16 15:29:34 PDT 1997

<< If you try eating the dandelion greens and other wild herbs, you will
 find them to be quite bitter.>>

Bring to a boil; drain. Repeat 2 x more. The bitterness is then almost
non-existenant and even mild when compared with endive, etc.

<<  A great deal of game has a strong taste compared to our supermarket
meats.  These would be very good reasons to add sugar to so many foods and to
use many spices.  Given the natural foods and the use of verjuice in so many
receipts, I think that medieval preferances must have been rather different
from ours.  Personally, I
 don't much like 'sour' and do not at all enjoy 'bitter'.  >>

When I was growing up a flask of vinegar always was at the table at every
meal to slosh onto spinach and other green vegetables. Dandelions were ALWAYS
served with vinegar and bacon.. Other foods such as sauerkraut, sauerbraten,
salad dressings of all sorts, etc. leap to mind. IMHO, I don't think the
taste for vinegar (read verjuice or sour has changed for certain populations.
General tastes for most Americans have changed but we're generally wierd
anyway and our food was described as tasting like "cardboard" by a Japanese
friend of mine.

<<And, I'm far too fond of salt.>>

Me, too. :-(

<<  A medieval diner, transported to one of my feasts would very likely say
'Yech!' to even my carefully redacted attempts.  And I'd do the same in
reverse...  :-p>>

Not mine! :-)

 <<However carefully we attempt to redact, there is a certain propensity for
 tastes in the modern palate that I believe are different than the period
 ones.  We do the best we can, but do we really think we're doing the
 same?  I don't. >>

Here we must agree to disagree. I do not believe the modern palette is any
different. Many recipes we have (e.g. mincemeat and sauerkraut, fruitcake,
buttermilk, etc.) are direct carry overs from the Middle Ages> I LOVE ALL
THESE FOODS and I have a direct aversion to "modern" preprocessed and fast
foods for the simple reason that they are for the most part completely and
utterly tasteless. Yes, I really think that we can and sometimes ( a lot) do
exactly recreate food as it was eaten in the Middle Ages. At least, I and
IMHO, several others (e.g. Aiofe, Master Dyfan, Duke Coriadoc, etc.) do.

Lord Ras