Re(2): SC - Re: Spice Use and Food Poisoning, etc.

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Wed Apr 16 15:29:34 PDT 1997

> <<  A medieval diner, transported to one of my feasts would very likely say
> 'Yech!' to even my carefully redacted attempts.  And I'd do the same in
> reverse...  :-p>>
>
> Not mine! :-)
>
>  <<However carefully we attempt to redact, there is a certain propensity for
>  tastes in the modern palate that I believe are different than the period
>  ones.  We do the best we can, but do we really think we're doing the
>  same?  I don't. >>
>
> Here we must agree to disagree. I do not believe the modern palette is any
> different. Many recipes we have (e.g. mincemeat and sauerkraut, fruitcake,
> buttermilk, etc.) are direct carry overs from the Middle Ages> I LOVE ALL
> THESE FOODS and I have a direct aversion to "modern" preprocessed and fast
> foods for the simple reason that they are for the most part completely and
> utterly tasteless. Yes, I really think that we can and sometimes ( a lot) do
> exactly recreate food as it was eaten in the Middle Ages. At least, I and
> IMHO, several others (e.g. Aiofe, Master Dyfan, Duke Coriadoc, etc.) do.
>
> Lord Ras

Palates, like so many other things, are cultural in origin, not genetic.  So
to say that palates haven't changed is not quite accurate.  Much depends on
what you are used to. This is the way food is as you grow up and you accept it
as the way it ought to be.  That isn't to say there won't be individual things
you don't like, or that you won't find other things to like.  I don't see why
this can't be the case between period and now.

Derdriu
swensel at brandegee.lm.com
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/