SC - Theme Feasts

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Thu Apr 17 07:42:28 PDT 1997

Hi-de-ho there, Adamantius!

>2. How about a feast for Vlad Tepes' marketplace? Alternate courses of
>Transylvanian and Turkish dishes...the temptation to serve everything on
>skewers would have to be resisted, of course...somewhat.

I did this one for fun, once. We made what ammounted to a "garlic" feast. I
made a recipe for Medieval Veal Sausages (took Mistress Elizabeth's sausage
class at Pennsic) substituting Pork and Beef (veal was out of season and
waaaaay too expensive), and adding extra garlic and fresh herbs from my
garden. Yes, we stuffed our own sausages for an event! What a lot of work!
We did it ahead of time, and froze them. They were cooked at home and
transported to the campsite, where we re-heated them over the fire in beer
or broth (we did both for the alcohol sensatives in our group). In addition
we had a garlic salad with herbs, an autumn vegetable borscht, savory cheese
tartes made with home-made cheeses, and fresh bread, and for dessert we did
poached pears in raspberry wine sauce based on the complete
dagger-lickin-good cookbook, which were canned ahead, served over plain
"biscuits". It was back in the days when almost no-one came to our events,
but I believe it was the best feast I ever served. We had some professional
catering warmers, which made keeping the stuff warm a cinch.  Those sausages
were so good cooked over the fire.  We had a contest to guess the number of
fresh garlic cloves in the feast (several hundred to feed about 40!!!).

<<<sigh. I suppose it's not PC to do this theme these days>> I could never
stuff sausages by hand for an event now. Too many people come. Is that good
or bad?

Aoife.

"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957